Thursday 31 October 2013

Secret Cake Club Perth @ The Ingredient Tree, Wembley

 Last Sunday, I attended my first Secret Cake Club event. I'd found out about it through Twitter and spent the month beforehand, counting down the days. This month's theme was History, which could be interpreted as a baked good from a historical recipe or a delicacy from your own personal history. I was beyond excited! I loved the idea of a clandestine baking club getting together to eat afternoon tea every few weeks. I don't have many friends that are into baking so I was looking for people who would understand when I geek out over the merits of Italian Meringue Buttercream. If you're in the same boat then look no further, because these are your people!

The event was held at The Ingredient Tree in Wembley; an awesome little cafe/exotic food store. The staff were really welcoming and the coffee ('Super Brazil' blend from Genovese) was perfect. As you can see from the photos above, the place is jam packed full of delicious goodies from all over the globe.  I snagged a bag of raw cocoa butter for an upcoming project, which I'd been looking for everywhere. If you're having trouble tracking down an ingredient that's a bit left of field, I would definitely give these guys a try!
On to the cakes! In the top left corner there, you can see my contribution; I made a Filipino dessert called Sans Rival. It's comprised of layers of meringue laced with ground cashews, which are then smothered in rich vanilla French buttercream. Why have I never heard of French buttercream before this? The stuff is delicious! It tastes like silky, buttery custard. It's like creme brûlée in frosting form! 



 I have a memory like a leaky sieve so I don't really remember the names of everything I ate but I can tell you that it was all delicious! It was really great hearing the stories that went with everyone's dishes. Secret Cake Club Perth has another event coming up next month and I'm once again keen as beans to get my bake on!



Over and out!


Ingredient Tree on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This