Wednesday 2 October 2013

Momofuku Milk Bar Bagel Bombs are 'Da Bomb'!

I've finally got my mitts on a copy of Christina Tosi's book; Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook. It's been on my wish list for a while in lieu of legging it over to NYC to try these goodies in person. The recipes can be a little convoluted, in that recipe within a recipe within a recipe sort of way (Recip-ception... Coming to a theatre near you!) but otherwise they're very easy! Tosi guides you through every step of the way and everything in the book just sounds so delicious!

The book is very dessert focused but has a great chapter on savoury goods in the back as a respite from all the sugar. I love making sweets and desserts but my sugar tolerance levels usually peak at half a cupcake. However, put me in front of a bowl of fries and that thing is demolished before you can say 'Pass the salt.'.

With that in mind I thought I would break in my new book with some savoury awesomeness. I present to you... The Bagel Bomb! Cream cheese, bacon and spring onions wrapped in squishy bread and topped with EVERYTHING! Read on for the how-to!
These are made of the Momofuku 'Mother Dough' which they use in a lot of their savoury breads. It's a really simple white bread dough which is easy to whip up in bulk and stash in the freezer for when the mood or inspiration to bake strikes. 
I followed the recipe and used bacon and spring onions in my filling but this recipe is infinitely customisable! Mushrooms, spinach, goat's cheese, mozzarella... the sky's the limit! I think next time I'm going to make mini Pizza Pockets and fill them with ragu and mozzarella. I always get a kick out of making a homemade version of a processed snack... aaand it's official; I need new hobbies!
Momofuku Milk Bar Bagel Bombs
Barely adapted from The Milk Bar Cookbook by Christina Tosi

Makes 8 bombs

Ingredients
Bread
225g strong white bread flour
6g salt
4g instant yeast
185ml water, room temperature
oil, for greasing

Filling
3 rashers bacon, chopped
200g cream cheese (use full fat cheese here - the low fat stuff will split when baked)
1 spring onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Topping
3g sea salt flakes
6g white sesame seeds
4g black sesame seeds (also called nigella seeds)
4g poppy seeds
4g dried onion flakes
2g onion powder
1g garlic powder

1 egg
1 tsp water

Method

  1. Mix together the Bread ingredients, bar the oil, till it forms a shaggy dough. Knead in a mixer with the dough hook attachment for 7 minutes on low speed or until the gluten is developed and the dough comes together in a smooth ball. Dump it in a greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. 
  2. Fry the chopped bacon till crispy and allow to cool. Mix the cooled bacon with the rest of the Filling ingredients then portion into 8 balls (I used an ice cream scoop). Place in the freezer while the dough proofs.
  3. Portion out the dough into 8 equal pieces and wrap each piece around a frozen cream cheese ball. Pinch together the edges and roll between your palms lightly to ensure everything's sealed up nice and proper. Set on a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to proof for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 150
  4. Mix together all the ingredients for the Topping. Brush each bomb with an egg wash made with the egg and water and sprinkle liberally with the Topping. Really go to town with this; you want them to be COVERED!
  5. Bake at 165ºC for 20 - 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. If you have a fan forced oven with a top heating element, try to place the tray towards the bottom of the over and lower the cooking temperature by 10ºC. My over runs quite hot so the dried onion in my topping is a little browner than I would have liked. I like to throw a cup of water in roasting pan I've put in the bottom of the oven while it's preheating too. This creates steam which helps make the crusts all golden and sexy. Allow to cool for a few minutes before devouring (trust me on this one; a molten cream cheese burn isn't terribly attractive). 

Over and out!

2 comments :

  1. These milk bagel buns look so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO delicious! And so easy to make... I definitely encourage you to try them out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This