Friday 6 September 2013

DIY: IKEA Cake Stand


After a recent trip to IKEA with my cousin (meatballs and homeware...unbeatable combination) I was inspired to make this ridiculously easy cake stand out of a candlestick holder and a candle dish. You can see my cake stand in action in my Cathedral Window Jelly post. 



I used the ARYD Candlestick/tealight holder ($12.95) in white and the SKURAR Candle dish (a whopping $3.95), also in white. To stick them together, I used Selley's Liquid Nails which I scavenged out of my dad's shed. The totally cost of this DIY was $16.90...winning!


The candle dish has some pesky stickers stuck underneath so I just used a bit of eucalyptus oil and elbow grease to take them off. Give your dish and candlestick holder a quick wash to make sure there's no residue or dust on either surface. Once dry, I used a ruler to find the centre point of the base of the plate. Measure the width of the top of the candlestick holder and mark the width around the centre point of the dish. 


Splodge a bit of the liquid nails around the top of the candlestick holder then carefully attach it to the centre of your dish.



Carefully turn your cake stand over. If the candlestick holder moves around a bit, it's not the end of the world, just shift it back into place. Place something heavy on top to weigh everything down and ensure a good hold. I used a pot plant because that's what I had within arm's reach but really, anything will do. 


Allow to dry for at least 24 hours to make sure the adhesive is properly dry. Then Voila! The easiest DIY cake stand ever! IKEA, I love you.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This